Posted on behalf of Phil
Seems Phil had a cracker against Pat.
Byron Cup first round, Phil vs. Pat Kinnear 19th June 2017.
- Great drive down the middle, 120 in, pull into rough on left, lost ball. 1 down.
- Pull drive left, lose to a par. 2 down.
- In water. 3 down.
- *My first shot hole, hook drive OOB. 4 down.
- Both on green in 3, me 40ft, Pat 12 ft, I putt to 2 ft, make par, Pat 3 putts. 3 down.
- *Hook drive OOB. 4 down.
- Great shot to 10 ft, Pat tops it 100 yards, then hits a fab shot to 3 ft, I lip out for birdie, Pat misses par putt. 3 down.
- Pat hooks one towards trees left, slices provisional right into trees, didn’t find either. 2 down.
- *I hit a fab drive, then pure a gap wedge which hits the front and ends up 40-50ft away at back, Pat in right hand bunker, really tough shot but gets it on green, both make 5s. 1 down.
- Fab drive down middle, Pat hits his in rough on left, hits his second to 4ft, I have 80 yards in from fairway and pull into bunker left. 2 down.
- *Pat hits a long drive to the right, borderline, I drive into bunker right, hit a great recovery out down fairway. Pat in trees on right and pulls one over back left of green, I do the same with my 3rd, but we find mine, not his. 1 down.
- Both hit reasonable drives, Pat always longer than me though, I top 2nd about 150, Pat hits a good 2nd, I hit a lucky 3rd on to green, Pat from 70 yards goes in pot hole bunker on right, thins it out, I make a 5. All Sq.
- I hit mine far left of green, have to chip on and down the top tier, Pat just off of the green on bottom tier where the flag is, both make a 4. All sq.
- Both hit reasonable drives, Pat longer as always, I semi top mine left, Pat hits one into fairway bunkers but it pops out, I hit my next into the same bunkers, Pat on green for 3, takes me 2 more to get on green. 1 down.
- I hit a fab drive but too long, in thick rough on right half way down the bunker, Pat hits his through and past the tree and left bunker, I play a great shot to just before green, Pat hits his on to the green, both make pars. 1 down.
- *Pat hits a massive drive right, behind ladies 10th tee, I hit mine into new trees right of fairway, I play a low one under trees to half way down fairway, Pat hits a great shot over trees but ends up in bunkers in front of green. I hit a rubbish 3rd right side of path next to green, Pat thins out of the bunker into bushes behind green but finds it, I duff my next chip, Pat just gets it out of trees, then duffs his next chip, both had 5, both play another shot then Pat picks up. All sq.
- I hit a great drive down middle, Pat slices a big one right, both hit green but I 3 putt, Pat 2 putts. 1 down.
- *Pat hits a stonker but it goes in right hand bunker and in true SN style, pops out, he is sitting on top of the mound, I get distracted by two dog walkers and hit mine into the trees and rubbish on the right, don’t find it so on Pat’s suggestion I go back to the tee and hit a reasonable one right before bunkers, need to go for it now but top it 50ft into heavy rough, Pat lays up, I then have my toughest shot of the match 175 out of thick rough and hit it to 3ft, Pat hits his to about 12ft back of the green where flag is, Pat just needs to 2 putts for the match but knocks it 5ft past, misses the one back and I, unbelievably have a 3 footer to take the match down the 1st, I hole it and off we go, both looking at each other…..bewildered.
- I hit virtually the same drive as I did 3 hours ago, a peach down the middle leaving exactly the same shot that I had first time round, Pat hits his drive out left, I then hit the same 2nd shot as I did first time, pulled left into thick rough. We then spend a considerable time looking for Pats drive and it started to look like we weren’t going to find it, but we had spent loads of time during the match looking for my shots and it would have been an awful way to end the match. Just as we were giving up, he finds it and hits a great shot to 6ft, I can’t get out of rough and we shake hands, Pat says, ‘I was seconds away from going back to the tee’….
- The most bizarre match I have ever played, but played in great spirit with a true gentleman of the game, we both made a lot of mistakes but fair to say he played better than me so good luck to him in the next round.